We were asked to discuss the GDPR some and so originally, we were going to go a little more in-depth over it. However, there are already some great posts out there about it (including the ones from your newsletter program) so how about a few tips instead.
- Make sure that you are sending the “Please resign or confirm email” to only those you have too. I have received many of these types of emails and I am not affected by the changes taking place. That being said I am not receiving the same amount of newsletters as before.
- If you are going to send out the request then make sure you give the person a reason to stay with you. Remind them of the benefits behind getting your emails. Also, please do not make the subject line “Will you resign up?” this immediately indicates that there is a reason they should not.
- Use the tools included in your newsletter provider. Many such as the Email Campaign provided through Zoho have features in them that help with your newsletters’ success. Such as scheduling them when the person receiving the emails are more likely to be around. Also, sharing them on your social media networks, just not for the GDPR email.
- Include your branding in the email; it is coming from you so it should look like it. Headers, logos, banners, any image really that shows the viewer immediately who they are getting an email from.
- Remember that newsletters and emails are not a one-way communication tool; they are designed to encourage a conversation. Let them. You can ask viewers what they like to see, you can add polls, and you could even do a Q&A session. Something that talks about you but also gives them a chance to respond.
- Most likely however the emails have gone out and you did not get the responses you were hoping for, now what? Save the list check them out and make sure they are not already on a different list. Good email programs will help sort them for you.
- Finally, if you are offering a special for those who did sign up, double opt-in and even said yes to your GDPR email, then thank them and make sure they got their gift. Many times you will find that the “gift” was not claimed so check and see if they did. You offered them something for signing up, help to ensure they get it.